Fishing in English for furriners- topic

Alueen säännöt
Fishing in Finland & in general. Discussions in anglish, regardless of topic
nypy

Viesti Kirjoittaja nypy » 02:35:01 01.01.2008

nappy new year to you too, great article, must read it in daytime.

btw, there is one guy to your team, stickan, i've heard , that he have same "hobbies" , but the men don't have to be married röpesin

Emppai
Käsijuusto

Viesti Kirjoittaja Emppai » 13:12:09 01.01.2008

=D>

taemen
rekeeneekeri

Viesti Kirjoittaja taemen » 13:23:45 01.01.2008

Great, useful article! :juu:
Niinkö?

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 08:39:26 04.01.2008

Is their much of an issue with Phosphates and Water clarity in Finland guys? We have allot of problems with it due to lawns in the watershed, also agricultural practices causing loss of spawning areas, weed bed destruction and lack of buffers due to people mowing down to their lake shore property.

Mikey
Herr Doktor

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mikey » 09:13:09 04.01.2008

There are problems for sure, the Baltic Sea is the world's most polluted sea-area. Here in Finland the main problem is agriculture. Then we also have a large city in Russia, St. Petersburg, where a large quantity of the sewer-water goes straight into the sea, affecting our coastal-line as well as theirs. Seems like there's not much to be done about it though... :cry:

Now this was very short and very generalizing but it gives you a clue about our situation here.

Here's a map of the Baltic Sea to picture it as well.
http://encarta.msn.com/map_701510462/Baltic_Sea.html
Jag fiskar. Pappa betalar. Samma på finska.

catch_a_fish
Väärin kalastaja

Viesti Kirjoittaja catch_a_fish » 09:36:27 04.01.2008

And something about fresh waters as well...

Eutrophication of waters is quite a big problem in Finland, especially (small) lakes and ponds are vulnerable since the change of water is slow.

Even when the main external reasons for eutrophication have been removed (eg. waste waters are properly handled, there is enough "safe zone" between the water and the arable land), problems still stay, they might even go worse due to inner eutrophication. When the phytoplankton and zooplankton balance have been disturbed, it will affect the balance of different fishes as well. And fixing that takes time.

At first eutrophication may even be good for pike since the amount of water plants increase, which gives predators more places to hide. But on the opposite - the lack of oxygen-rich water makes the life of bigger fish harder. The water clarity varies a lot during the year. Actually, even in the lake that is very badly eutrophicated, water clarity can be quite good for a short period. In my experience, that's because different types of algae come in phases when the water has reached some critical temperature. Eg. water clarity goes bad at spring when water is less than 20 'C. When > 20 'C, algae "dies" and sinks to bottom >> water goes clear again.
Hajaantukaa, täällä ei ole mitään nähtävää!

tmu
Hyvätapainen nuorimies
Hyvätapainen nuorimies

Viesti Kirjoittaja tmu » 00:16:11 05.01.2008

Thank you, Muskiefool. Really beautiful fishes you have. Colour, figures, fins, amazing! Fantastic shots!

One thing is bothering me, i have never seen a small muskie. How big they are when they hatch? :shock:

Seriously, how many fishes you usually catch per day? I mean, the pike we have is one of most common fishes in Finland and it can be found in almost everywhere here. And stocks are doing pretty good, even growing due to reduce of commercial fishing of the specie and eutrofication.

If i have understood right, muskies are not doing so well? Why is that? because of recreational or commercial fisheries, environmental problems or simply because the stock size is smaller by nature?

Other thing i have been thinking is c&r and the public opinion. Here the majority of people are against of fishing just for fun, without the idea of using your catch for food. Even majority of fishermans think so, i believe.

How you have dealt with that issue or do you have same kind of arguments?

I´m sorry to bother you, but i´m curious how things are done in somewhere else. After all, you seem to have quite positive and rational way of dealing these issues. :)
Make my day- Teemun päivä.

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 01:34:42 07.01.2008

tmu no bother at all, I'm happy to tell you about what we have here the fry are very small I suppose a cm. or so, they feed on zoo plankton for a week or so then move to invertebrates, a 40 pound female will lay about 200,000 eggs, unlike Pike eggs that stick to vegetation, these fall to the bottom of the lake in the oxygen rich Chara, here a photo of some fry.
Kuva

These are fingerling's about 10 inches
Kuva

This is a Yearling about 17 inches
Kuva

This is a 2 year old fish
Kuva

it takes about 7+ years for a fish to hit 40 inches they grow fast to that point then they slow dramatically putting on girth and growing mass.

The best Ive ever heard of for a catch per day is about 10 and that is a once in a lifetime, I probably get 1 fish every 10 days on the water just due to the location (Leech Lake) being a Large 112,000 acre reservoir with only natural reproduction and little if any stocking in that lake, the stocked lakes like Mille Lacs and Vermilion are giving up numbers of large fish, 1 per day would be about right and by large I'm saying 50 inches or better.

All of our lakes and rivers are in trouble, for 100 + years we have been dumping into them without understanding the damage we are imposing, in the form of raw sewage, appliances, cars and household trash, also every American feels they need a lush green lawn and in acquiring this we have dumped phosphates that are causing much damage 1 pound of phosphates will grow 500 pounds of algae, in this mental illness called the lawn, we mow the grass remove the natural weeds along the lakes, rivers, and streams to the waters edge, all of our watersheds have issues, some worse than others, some lakes are being hurt badly some not as much, it all effects the biology of the lake.

Commercial walleye and whitefish netting has had major implications, our Upper & Lower Red Lake was completely fished out by Native Americans and Anglers, now it has rebounded but it took 10-15 years of intensive stocking and hard work, Muskie and Pike are also impacted by this, 5000-7000 pounds of Pike are netted and discarded for the most part on Mille Lacs lake every year along with hundreds of Muskie when the Native American tribes Net Walleye, it's very sad but its a issue none or few will discuss due to the fact you'll be labeled a Racist.

C&R is the most valuable tool in assuring the future of all species of fish and it's management, there have been several studies showing the negative impacts of removing the large fish from the system, the effects include lower recruitment, declined ability to swim, smaller body mass, here is the study link.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... fishing%29
There is absolutely no problem with removing smaller schooling fish from the system but low density large apex predator fish like Pike and Muskie can be decimated, as they have been in the past on lakes like Wabagoon in Canada, it took a couple years of intense harvest of the big fish before the fishery almost completely collapsed this was accomplished by a handful of anglers.

MN is possibly the #1 destination in the world for Trophy Muskie, it's become that due to one factor, C&R, the changing attitudes of fishermen in this state towards putting the fish first and creating a recyclable fishery for these incredible fish, while states next to us have struggled to grow fish we have grown numbers of massive bodied fish that can be caught many times over.

The Anti fishing groups have tried to use this against us and for the most part they have nothing to stand on as sportsmen and anglers we give back 10 times more than we receive, every fisherman is an environmentalist at heart, we all know the value of clean clear water, clean air, buffer zones next to lakes and streams and we love the outdoors, we volunteer many hours introducing young people to the outdoors and helping preserve the resource, unfortunately we have to fight generations of backwards thinking from many.

It costs 3500 to 7000 US dollars to replace a 50 inch Muskie, along with 10 to 15 years, these fish do not just come back when the big fish are taken, Pike are a even a slower growing fish, they can take 10 years of study just to show a 1-2 inch average size increase in a lake under special regulations.

I hope this helps guys and I hope you don't think I'm bashing anyone for keeping a meal of fish, for us Muskie are not table fare due to the amount of Mercury in large fish, Pike are great eating as long as we let the big ones swim and don't take more than what we need to eat, schooling fish also can be harvested with little or no damage as long as the big fish can be left to reproduce, I love a fish dinner and always will.
Take Care Guys
John

tmu
Hyvätapainen nuorimies
Hyvätapainen nuorimies

Viesti Kirjoittaja tmu » 12:21:26 07.01.2008

Thank you John.

Every day something new: now i have seen a small muskie. :D
They are growing pretty fast, atleast compared with northern pike. Here, in the baltic sea a 100cm pike is about ten years old.

Seems like the problems we share are mainly similar. The lawn in Finland is not so significant factor, but we ha agricultue, which is a holy cow. Farmers are so poor and their life is so miserable, that they just can't have responsibility of their doings. And you can't expect them to give up even some squaremeters of their field, not even next to the river.
And a country also needs to have some internal production, what if the war comes, you know... These are politic decisions of the ruling party. I'm not a member. :evil:

Eutrofication is a serious problem for the species that lay their ebbs to the bottom. For example, in the Baltic Sea stocks of whitefisf and flounder have rediced strongly because their spawning grounds are spoiled by increased algae growht.

Also, because of overexploitation, some of our pikeperch stocks are turning to midgets. They are harvested with nets mesh size under 45mm so powerfully that most of the spawning stock is under 40 cm fishes.
In area where i fish, a 50 cm pikeperch is ecxeptional. In a short, couple hour trip after school on may i can easily cacth 20-30 fishes. Most of them are mature, but none of them are over 42cm.

But farmers, commercial fishermens, etc. are our indians. They have a right to do their job and we would be cruel if we deny it or ask them to be responsible of the consequences.
Make my day- Teemun päivä.

Kesis
Guy Fawkes, sokea kerjäläinen

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kesis » 22:16:47 07.01.2008

tmu is right. Maybe some day our "holy cows" will realize, and admit, the problems that they have mainly caused to our aquatic ecosystems :|

Although it is nice to hear that we, the fishermen, share a common agenda (even in different continents) by being environmentalists and trying to conserve aquatic wildlife the best we can. Or that is what I hope we try to do, among fishing :)
I wish I had ghosts...

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 07:51:27 08.01.2008

10,000 miles and it's all the same we're so typical ain't we LOL

Kesis
Guy Fawkes, sokea kerjäläinen

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kesis » 17:11:26 08.01.2008

Muskiefool kirjoitti:10,000 miles and it's all the same we're so typical ain't we LOL
You´re absolutely right! :D

Ps. nice article by the way. It´s very interesting to read about those things. Keep´m coming if you find the time.
I wish I had ghosts...

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 06:03:02 26.03.2008

Ive been busy on some stuff for a magazine thats asked me to do a small column, and Ive been sick as a dog for about 2 weeks, Winter has a real grip on us and doest seem to want to open up our lakes, we still have ice cover rover the entire state, I'm working on a few baits I hope to post up soon, that Catch and Release article has gotten allot of good attention and has grown allot bigger since the last time I was here I'll repost the new version soon.
Taker Easy Gents
John

Mynttinen
Georgen kaksoisveli

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mynttinen » 08:16:52 26.03.2008

we also got winter back today.

Snow already has come about 10cm and the news said it can be so much as 30cm today.
Vuosivaappuja vielä muutama jäljellä http://www.tami-vaappu.com

nypy

Viesti Kirjoittaja nypy » 19:04:48 26.03.2008

welcome back again, now here is about 30cm snow, came in 8 hours

Fuso
Neljänneks paras tietosuojavaltuutettu

Viesti Kirjoittaja Fuso » 20:33:18 26.03.2008

nypy kirjoitti:welcome back again, now here is about 30cm snow, came in 8 hours

Here in south is snow only about twelve inch. :D
"Sentti nenässä, tuuma mulkussa ja jalka vavassa näkyy ja tuntuu".
Veikko Heiskasen lempilauseesta Arvi Mustosen vääntämä tunnuslause Neidenin siltamontulta.

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 23:24:37 26.03.2008

Just heard its gonna start again tonight, 7 inches (18cm I think LOL), everyone got new line and all the gear cleaned up and ready to go for spring if it ever comes. :lol:

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 09:06:05 26.04.2008

Hey guys I just put this together I hope it opens a door for you I know it works for big pike too

Glide Bait on the Power Rake
I had struggled with glide baits producing fish for as long as I had thrown them till a few years ago I put 2+2 together and hit some fish with them but not before doing some serious soul searching on a logical path, I started to tear down glide baits to make them do what was required to earn a spot on the rod. I’d heard plenty of comments like “Glide baits don’t work on this lake” and on occasion the broad stroke comment “Glides don’t work in MN”.

How I put it together

My Nephew, Brother In-law and I have been very successful trout anglers for many years and developed some tactics that have put some huge fish in our hands fishing areas and techniques that were not walking the road of conventional thought; therefore I have a tremendous amount of confidence working a stream and dissecting all of its variables; but trust me nothing is fool proof that’s just fishing.

On the other end of the rope I had been living a Muskie catching nightmare I like to call the Great Muskie Depression for lack of better words, I was a Muskie misanthrope with more questions than answers, I needed a total overhaul of all I knew and thought I knew also I needed to come to the realization that I’ll never know everything about how to catch Muskie or why they mean so much to me, it’s just what it is.

It was almost a full season of letdowns and mental setbacks that had sent me into a perpetual Esox tailspin, I had lost so many decent fish including my personal best at the time and had so many bumps and hits but just didn’t get to touch anything, I had some serious questions about my future as a Muskie fishermen, I developed a total lack of confidence., so I did the only thing I could, I built on the techniques that I had confidence in with Trout and refined it to Muskies.

I realized the connection between both species of fish; in their attack modes, in relationship to the strike zone, turning fish into reaction strike freight trains, how the action of a bait can put this whole thing together and how to implement tactics from Steve Voigts Power Rake article from a few years back, I also used the detailed information off his website mmbaits.com and found a way to implement these methods to a different family of bait, sounds simple doesn’t it?, simply convert all of the confidence tactics from a different species of fish, different baits and great fishermen into a conglomerate Muskie confidence.

Principle Equipmental
The foundation is based on one lure type or shape and tapping all of its potential for catching fish, also I need to mention this doesn’t seem to be a numbers game from my experience; it attracts big fish and converts them to a memory of a great day on the water.
The lures body shape needs to be a short(5-7’) deep bodied shad style bait, like a 6 inch Beer Belly, Magic Maker, Misfit, Drop Belly or a Tippy Darter.

These baits offer a very tight action that really enables fish find the hooks, I don’t like wide gliding baits (long slender or 8 inches +) as well, fish seem to swipe at them back and forth till its too late or they’ve lost interest, not saying wide gliding baits don’t work or aren’t effective, they just don’t work well for this tactic, they fly in the face of my confidence.

To amplify the action you need a short leader about 10 inches or so with the snap built right into the solid wire form these are available but I like to make my own using crane swivels; why a crane and why implement the snap into the wire?, For one reason only, it creates more resistance on the connection to your bait, I know my bait is doing the exact same thing every time I snap the line; no added articulation from a free wheeling snap, no flimsy wire they need to be heavy duty with no questions about what’s happening to your bait, that’s what builds confidence on every cast.

A stiff heavy action rod that’s comfortable for you, one that wont bend when you snap the bait, a high speed reel to take up the slack line with a half turn is a must, fitted with 80# super line and a drag that will do some slipping because that rod isn’t going to absorb much shock and you don’t want too reel up a set of dentures; the fish tend to hit these baits like a ton of bricks and really they set the hooks themselves, so you don’t need to hit em hard just set the hook and hold on.

Methodology

Make your cast beyond the structure; be it weed rock or tight shore line let the bait fall a couple feet or as conditions and structure allow; at this point the best baits will shimmy as they fall, as I stated before every little thing helps confidence especially if the bait has action while your doing nothing at all.
Your retrieve should be made on short snaps of slack line, 6-10 inch movements of your rod tip stopping the rip as the line has been taken up, this will impart very little forward movement on the bait but will translate into a sharp side to side 180 degree turn; I like to use a 1-2-3 then a 1 second pause 1-2-3-4-5 (feel free to use even numbers if your superstitious) then a 1 second pause, this will show a fallowing or lurking fish both sides of the bait and give them a chance to size it up.

Work the bait to the edge of the structure; Weed pocket, Weed line or Rock hump and let the bait fall dead till you estimate the bait is close to the bottom or low weed tops, you see the key factor has already occurred by the time the bait hits that point on the drop.
The fish has recognized the baits movement, turned to look and the baits reaction is to fall defensively, that is the key, that is the key, my duplication was not by accident this creates reaction strikes and can make your strike zone many times larger.

Rake the stupid thing up

Now comes your Power Rake; this is accomplished by two methods both work very well, I mix it up and do both; start snapping and moving the bait quickly to the surface (after the drop to the bottom or low weed tops) for at least 5-10 feet simulating a fleeting baitfish, then do a 1 second pause and snap the bait 3 times pause again (Simulating a struggle) and hold on, seriously hold on, this is the Attack Zone in your retrieve, so don’t be surprised when the rod tip goes south, if nothing happens go back to your retrieve, let it fall again and repeat the rake.

The other possible retrieve for your Rake is a rod tip down, cranking hard to take up line for 6-10 feet then drop back some slack for 1 seconds and snap the bait 3 times and pause, hang on this is the Attack Zone again, if nothing happens go to the 1-3 and 1-5 count then let her fall dead again and repeat your Rake.

Fodder of the Folly
This is not a search tactic by any means, you’ll want to fish this on structure and spots that you know have fish holding elements (Weed edges, Rock points and Forage elements etc.), although I have used it as search system before it’s best to impart as a sniper tactic, It also helps me concentrate on the water and prevents idiot casts to garbage water, if your looking for a search method stop reading right now hook up a buck tail.

I really hope this tactic helps improve not only the fish in your boat but to build some confidence, it’s opened up a world of fish for me that I know I would have never seen.

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 01:57:48 22.06.2008

What do you think about Abu Big Game Reels being made in China ??

Jabala

Viesti Kirjoittaja Jabala » 11:46:59 01.08.2008

I don't know if it really affects on the quality of their reels, but it has a great impact on the company image. I would think twice before buying an Abu reel that is not made in Sweden, despite knowing that the production plant and tolerances are probably at least as good as they are in the original factory.

Anything I say here is not based on a fact, I only have Abu reels made in Sweden.

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 04:51:55 10.10.2008

I finally put one in the boat this year guys

This wasn't like any other fish Ive ever handled with the exception of maybe a hot hammer handle just add 30X the size; I was a bit upset when she came pulling by the boat the first time I finally got her off the bottom because Kurt noticed her eye was screwed up and I figured it was the tail hook got her, it wasn't, and she never stopped fighting, ever, this was the most incredible fish Ive ever hooked and for the first time ever I was nervous about reaching into the net because I felt she was looking for something to bite, she knew I was there, and where my hands were.

The fishes eyes were not injured, she was pulling so hard and so intense that her eyes were blowing out of the sockets, as soon as the hook came out they deflated like balloons.

I didn't want to take her out but Kurt really wanted a pic of the biggest fish he'd ever seen, her head was tremendous I really wish we could have got a shot of that overdeveloped lower mandible LOL and she was a solid brick front to back, I put my hand on the base of her skull and I swear I could feel the electricity pulsing though her as my hand spayed across her head hoping she would become accustom to my touch.

I was on my knees and pulled her up with my left hand on her near side as I reached down to support her belly she smashed me in the face luckily with her mouth closed, I kept her in hand but somehow her head was flat now in the palm of my hand like I was holding a plate and she was pushing to go up my arm and I was sliding up her body.

I instantly turned and slid her head first into the water and she flew under the boat and stayed there for about a minute then emerged, so I fallowed her and we got a farewell shower when she turned her finely tuned body 180 degrees and slammed to the bottom.

Some fish are dump trucks with the brain of Homer Simpson some are F-1's with the brain of Jason Voorhees this sum bitch was just mean without the Cheevers mask.

Sorry its not a text book hold but I was on the move and she said the date was over LOL

Kuva

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Re: Fishing in English for furriners- topic

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 07:48:39 21.09.2010

I had a computer burn down and lost all my shit but I'm back gents what did I miss?

Royal Trude
Koko Kansan Tenaleidi
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Royal Trude » 08:48:04 21.09.2010

You missed lotsa boobies ;)

Welcome back!
Piiloteksti
Suomi on suuri sukkahousumaa

Muskiefool
Mr. Space Yogurt

Viesti Kirjoittaja Muskiefool » 07:00:52 23.09.2010

Ta Ta's are an all time favorite,,,,,,,,

Aurebu

Viesti Kirjoittaja Aurebu » 12:35:26 21.10.2010

Hi Muskiefool
Another crazy yank here, but one with a twist. I grew up in Norway, and am now living in Sweden.
I too am amazed of the skills of many of the people here. Specially when it comes to making wobblers and tying flies.

Vastaa Viestiin